Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Overdose

Pillow covers are such an easy thing to switch out with your old ones to make a room feel new-ish again.  Last week I sewed up five new pillow covers; three for the front room to make some comfy but drab wood and cream chairs looks alive and two for the backroom.  The couch in the backroom is where we watch movies and because of its age (and maybe even design) the padding isn't too supportive.  Pillows fix that right up.



This is the front room.  It doesn't get a ton of light during the day because of the awnings that cover most of the exterior part of the window.  It's on the to-do list to take off at some point. Check out our series of vintage silk screen prints from the 60s that V and I hung a few weeks ago.  After hanging those I feel that the room is really starting to come together.  We need to refinish the floors and then put up baseboards.  When V bought the house all the baseboards had been removed so we are going to have to buy them for the whole house. 

Blue wool felt and suiting fabric, cotton houndstooth, and leafy blue and yellow linen pillows.

View facing the front of the house.
Some bright pillows in the back room, where V and I watch extremely intelligent films together (and I watch horror movies alone, when he's not around).


For those of you who used to read my old craft blog, you might remember some posts about this unopened crewel work pillow kit from the 60s that I found at a thrift store.  I finished the actual crewel work over a year ago but never got around to actually sewing the pillow together.  Now that I have a some free time while waiting for my immigration paperwork to go through all the little unfinished projects are going to get finished.





Before I decided to just save money and sew the pillow covers myself I was eyeing some beautiful online ones.  They are still on my wish list and most are affordable, especially for handmade items (most of these are from etsy sellers).



I was VERY excited today to find out that you can actually download many, many, many fonts for FREE online.  I spent some of the morning looking at the ones available on dafont.com.  I can't wait to use them in future posts.


1 comment: