Monday, April 16, 2012

Marriage test

Oh my goodness gracious, what a RELIEF.  We passed our marriage immigration exam and now I just have to wait for my cute little card in the mail.

Our appointment was at 1:30 today.  When we got to the federal building there was a couple in front of us talking to the security guard and V and I gathered that no cameras at all were allowed in the building, which for most people now includes all cell phones.  I had forgotten mine at home but V had to run back to the car to get rid of his.  I think we were both sweating already by the time we got through the metal detectors.

We took the elevator to the second floor and waited inside a large room with six other couples for about 15 minutes before our name was called.  We got to see other couples exiting the questioning area.  One lady was dressed like she was going for a night on the town with a skin tight short sweater dress, super tall heels and heavy makeup.  Another couple walked out looking a little down and a third walked out with their lawyer.  I wanted to stare more but didn't want to seem like a creep or look suspicious.  It's serious in there.

Our interviewer was a lady in her late 40s.  She led us to her small office and didn't say much or even tell us her name.  Once inside she had us raise our right hand and swear to tell the truth before we sat down.  The whole interview lasted about 15 minutes.  She asked me some questions about my previous relationship (which I was dreading but knew they'd ask), when V and I met, and about our joint accounts.  She asked V about his work, health insurance and car insurance.  There weren't any questions about family members, toothbrush colours, or the location of the salt in the kitchen.  I feel like I had a healthy amount of nervous preparation beforehand which helped me feel relaxed during the actual interview.

The interviewer needed one additional form that the immigration department hadn't asked for in previous letters.  I told her I had it at home so she gave me her fax and phone number and said that as soon as she had the form she could close out my file and send the green card.  After a quick holycrapitsover drink at the Pre-Flite lounge we went home, got the form, went to fedex and faxed it.  I called the interviewer to confirm that she received it and she said that she did and my green card would arrive in 30 days or less.  Hooray!

To celebrate, V announced that we would be going to see the Beach Boys this summer.  Just kidding, but we are.

1 comment: